|Kale and garlic getting cooked up....yum, yum!|
The Red Russian variety of kale was a favorite and flew off the shelf, though our Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch type went quickly too. The weekend saw another harvest and delivery of more than a dozen bunches of fresh-picked, organically grown Tuscan Blue variety kale (which also goes by the names of Black Kale, Dinosaur Kale or Lacinato Kale).
|Red Russian Kale|
|Tuscan Blue Kale (also known as Black Kale, Dinosaur Kale and Lacinato Kale)|
In addition to tasting healthy foods and being able to take home some fresh kale, families were also given information on other ways to prepare kale that included the following easy suggestions that we all can follow if we're looking for ways to use this delicious green....
Five Great Ways to Use the Kale from S.A.G.E.
1. Chop it up and sauté in a pan with a little oil and garlic for delicious braised greens.
2. Add a handful to the blender to give your smoothie a boost of nutrition and fantastic color!
3. Oil it, add some seasoning and bake in the oven at a low heat to make crispy green chips.
4. Add it your favorite stir-fry recipe.
5. Dice it up and throw it in any soup.
It was an exciting kick off for the season, and we have a lot of work to get done to keep up with the demand. Don't hesitate to come out and throw in a helping hand at SAGE, enjoy some pizza and good conversation Tuesdays 4-7pm!
Garden Education Assistant